Holidays are the busiest time of the year for your business, so we know you’ve been busy. However, sharing frequently on a blog and social online platforms is essential to building an online presence and keeping shoppers interested. In fact, it’s been known to generate millions for online retailers.
Have you considered creating content (news, information, pictures, infographics, etc.) specific for the chilly winter months? Here are some ecommerce blog ideas for popular retail categories to keep your shoppers’ attention.
Content for Tools
Can tools serve a purpose specific to the holidays?
- If you sell gardening tools, post about how to prepare your lawn for winter months, how to protect flowers or trees in the cold, etc.
- If you sell power tools, post tips for protecting a house during the winter? For example, how to protect windows and doors from drafts, how to keep pipes from freezing, chimney cleaning, and snow shovels to clear driveways.
- If you sell general household tools, you can talk about what’s needed for holiday decorating. For instance, how to keep the home and family safe when using ladders and power cords to hang outdoor lights or even decorating ideas.
- Do you sell car-specific tools and parts? Write a blog post on how to keep your car running smoothly this winter, steps to take to prevent winter-related issues, and any other relevant details.
- Are there any steps that need to be taken to make sure your products operate at optimal capacity during winter months? Share tips on keeping tools and gear in great condition.
Apparel Post Ideas
When thinking of ecommerce blog ideas for the winter, consider how buyers can stay warm and fashionable in colder months?
- If you sell casual clothing, post in your blog about layering clothing to manage the fluctuating temperatures as you move between the cold outdoors and warm indoors.
- If you sell more formal apparel, offer advice on what to wear to holiday parties, the best outfits for winter weather, winter wedding ideas, or fashionable (but warm) winter shoes.
- Do you sell children’s clothing? Write about how to keep kids warm and healthy through the winter, what kids should wear so they can still play outside when it’s cold, preparing for outdoor activities such as skiing, sledding, and building snowmen.
- Are there any fashion tricks that work well in icy or snowy weather? Share tips that will keep buyers looking great, even in frosty weather.
- Are you highlighting winter trends? Consider blog posts that highlight trending clothing and accessories that would make great gifts, or the top 10 clothing items to buy your teen this season.
Health and Wellness Tips
How can you help shoppers stay healthy and fit over the winter?
- If you sell fitness equipment or sporting goods, post about the best fitness apps available for download, different playlists for different types of workouts (cardio, weight training, yoga, etc.), or how to move your outdoor workout indoors for the winter.
- If you sell health products, write a blog post about different vitamins or supplements that you might need especially for the winter, offer flu prevention tips for families, or recipes for warm, healthy foods.
- Do you sell products that are good for the body, mind, and spirit? Offer advice about how to relax during the winter, the best meditation playlists or apps, setting healthy goals, and resolutions for the new year.
- Post ideas on how to stay motivated during the winter which is traditionally when your shoppers may fall off the wagon.
How can you motivate buyers to decorate their homes during the winter season?
- If you sell home furnishings, a great blog post topic could be about making the home comfortable for holiday visitors or how to best rearrange furniture to make room for holiday decorations such as the Christmas tree or toy train set.
- Do you sell holiday-themed home décor? Give tips for making the home feel cozier, decorating ideas for holiday and New Year’s parties, decoration hacks for your frozen front porch, and, of course, hosting tips.
- Do you sell seasonal products that are available only in the winter? Highlight these products in a gift guide that shows products in lifestyle images. You may also consider posts or videos that show room makeovers as the décor transforms from normal to a cozy, warm, winter theme. Check out this great tutorial on creating stop-motion product videos with your phone!
- How can you keep buyers’ homes comfortable and organized? Offer advice on the best way to keep the home clean and clutter-free during the hectic season. You can also provide advice on the best pieces of home décor that double as storage containers.
What do shoppers need to know about electronics this season?
- If you sell laptops and mobile devices, post in your blog about the latest and greatest products available for holiday gifts, the best apps that someone may not know about, or tips on how to choose the best computer or mobile device for an individual’s specific needs.
- If you sell accessories for electronics, write about how to prevent damage to devices with cases, screen protectors, and replacement insurance.
- For parents buying for their children, offer advice about screen-time limits, video game ratings, and parental control apps.
What can makers create this winter? Here are a few ecommerce blog ideas for you to try.
- If you sell yarn, write about how to knit or crochet beanies, scarves, and mitts to give as gifts.
- If you sell fabric, do you have any good patterns to share? Offer tips on your blog about creating blankets, quilts, overcoats, and more.
- Do you sell beads? Talk about fun indoor activities to keep busy when you can’t stay out in the cold. Jewelry making and simple projects for kids are ideal.
- What else do you sell? Be creative. Parents are looking for fun activities their kids can do inside to keep them out of the cold. Come up with projects they can do together that involve your products and share them on your blog.
Toys and Games
What are the best toys and games to play indoors this season?
- What are the top 10 indoor games this winter to keep warm?
- Are there any outdoor games that you can modify for indoors?
- Share gift guides, top 10 gifts for active kids, top 10 gifts for creative kids, gifts for kids who love science, best games/toys that can be played with a parent (like puzzles, toy models, etc.).
- Create a throwback for the parents- Consider the age range of your customers buying products. What were the most popular games and toys during their childhood? Link to today’s closest version for comparison.
The end of the year isn’t just about cold weather and holiday decorations – it’s also the period that generates the most sales of the year. Last year, online shoppers spent $123.7 billion during the holiday season. That’s why it’s so important to engage your customers with interesting and helpful blog content during these months. Show your customers that you value and appreciate them with engaging posts and great advice this winter.
Do you have any ecommerce blog ideas already, or do you still need help coming up with topics for categories we didn’t list? Let us know in the comments.
Editor’s Note: This blog post was originally published September 2014 and was updated in November 2019 to reflect more accurate and relevant information.