While you are probably recovering from the busiest shopping time, Black Friday through Christmas, it’s time to start thinking about the first major sales date of the year – Valentine’s Day. Last year, shoppers were expected to spend almost $20 billion on Valentine’s Day in the US. With numbers like that, you can see why planning for this cupid-filled holiday is a great way to start the year off right.
The following six ecommerce promotion ideas will help you leverage Valentine’s Day to drive sales to your store this year.
#1 – Create a Valentine’s Day Look for Your Website
Of course, demonstrating the spirit of Valentine’s Day in your website design will enhance your customers’ experiences, which in turn encourages them to buy more. You can also include the following items to boost sales even further:
- Welcome Pop-Up with Coupon– Design a welcome pop-up that embodies the romance of the holiday while offering them a discount code.
- Valentine’s Day Banner– If your homepage includes a slider, you can add a banner to it that highlights your Valentine’s Day promotions and discounts.
- Matching Social Graphics– Create a consistent look with graphics that match your website to promote across various social media sites.
#2 – Matchmaking Promotion
Use this promotion to bundle, up-sell, or cross-sell your products. Essentially, it helps those customers who may not have a clue what to buy their loved ones for Valentine’s Day. You can offer complementary products and discounts on bundled products which increases your average order values, or in layman’s terms, increase the money in your pocket.
For example, you can direct a customer who is buying a necklace to discounted matching earrings. What would have been just a one-item purchase becomes a jewelry set, raising their shopping cart total.
#3 – Gift Lists or Finders
This type of marketing plan is ideal for those shoppers buying a gift for a specific person. Try highlighting popular products for men and women (or break it down further into categories such as wife, husband, girlfriend, and boyfriend). People love gifts that are relevant and current.
Not only can you focus on best-selling products, but also fun, trending items. This strategy may require some research on your part to determine which of your products are trending within each of your categories, but it will be time well-spent.
You can push these gift guides in newly-created categories, blog posts, and gift finders. We put together a great tutorial on creating an effective gift finder for your ecommerce site for you to follow. Adding these fun interactive guides have proven to increase conversion by more than 200%.
Take this plan a step further and include lifestyle photos or unboxing videos with each product to further boost sales.
#4 – Valentine’s Day Quizzes
Social media is a great place to promote your products using fun and engaging quizzes. There are several ways to approach this idea. Your quiz can:
- Answer questions with products that your store offers. For example:
- What type of Valentine’s Day chocolate (flower, piece of jewelry, etc.) are you?
- What is the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for your sweetheart?
- Offer a discount code for quiz-takers who share their results on social media.Not only does this encourage those who take the quiz to make a purchase, but it also gets your brand more visibility when they share their results.
- Help make gift selection easy.A quiz that asks about the recipient’s likes, dislikes, interests, and personality can allow you to offer matching products.
Because quizzes are fun for people, they tend to attract a lot of traffic. This makes quizzes great for highlighting your products to a larger audience.
#5 – Offer Digital Downloads
If you are looking for a way to grow your customer database try offering digital downloads with Valentine’s Day themes. It lets you collect shoppers’ information, so you can market to them in the future. Consider offering digital downloads that apply to your brand like:
- Gift guides
- Ebooks about your ecommerce niche
- Valentine’s themed patterns for crafts
- Lists of inexpensive date ideas or ways to show you care
- Free greeting card printouts
#6 – Incentives for Word of Mouth Marketing
Word of mouth marketing has many benefits for ecommerce businesses. It is an affordable way to improve your brand’s visibility and increase website traffic. A great way to increase this type of marketing effort is to give an incentive for sharing about your brand on social media.
Consider including a note for customers with details about your giveaway to incentivize them to post a picture with your product, an unboxing video, or a review. This note could be included in the confirmation email, within the packaged box, or a follow-up email. The giveaway could be as small as a sample product or discount, to as big as an experience, like dinner and a movie for two.
Is Your Ecommerce Business Ready for Valentine’s Day?
The above ideas are a great way to help you prepare your online store for Valentine’s Day. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box when it comes to the promotions you offer customers – you know them best. Use our ideas for inspiration, consider your audience, and create something fun and useful for them, and effective for your bottom-line.
Here are more Valentine’s Day marketing tips if you need them!