You know the saying that “a picture is worth a thousand words,” but that is old news now. Video is worth far more.
In fact, 90% of consumers say that videos are helpful when deciding to make purchases online, and 64% of users say that they are more likely to buy a product online after watching a video.
Additionally, adding video content to your ecommerce marketing strategy will cause visitors to stay on the site longer, visit more product pages, which will increase organic credibility and improve your conversion rates.
There are many benefits of using product videos for your ecommerce business. Let’s take a look at some of the basics to consider as you begin adding video content to your marketing tactics.
Choosing the Right Video Marketing Strategy
Before jumping in with both feet, you need to determine which video marketing strategy will work best for your business. Consider your expectations for results and available resources (time and money). What role do you want videos to play on the site? Will you be happy with the results that your resources offer? Once you have proper expectations and a budget, choosing the type of video strategy will be much easier. While there are a lot of options, the following are three main strategies to consider:
- Making your own videos – This option ranks highest in terms of resources needed, however it’s also the best for establishing your brand and voice.
- Sourcing videos from somewhere else – This option allows you to use videos from brands, product experts, and users. This can be a great way to test the reactions of your site visitors without making a big investment in time and production. YouTube is full of videos by brands that are available for re-sharing on ecommerce sites, and they’re free to use.
- Combining curated videos with your own – This option mixes your own video content with some of the videos from other product experts, which is often key to keeping your customers engaged.
Choosing the Right Type of Videos
The next consideration is what type of to include in your marketing strategy. What will customers value the most? Which types of videos will motivate your site visitors to add products to their shopping carts? Some of the more popular types of video content for ecommerce businesses are:
- Tutorials – You’ve likely seen how-to product videos all over the internet. Using this type of video to showcase how your product works, or how it can be used to benefit customers, is a valuable tool for marketing.
- Product reviews – This type of video is appealing to customers because it allows them to see how your product performs, and what to expect when they buy it.
- Unboxing – This type of video content, showing the product packaging and how it is unwrapped, will help your shoppers visualize their purchases.
Choose videos that will act as an online salesperson – answering customer questions and addressing concerns before they come up.
Tips and Best Practices for Using Video Marketing
As you are preparing to launch videos on your ecommerce website, keep the following tips in mind:
- Start with best-selling products. If you aren’t using video content already, it’s a good idea to start by adding it to your top-sellers and most popular pages. That will allow you to measure the customer engagement and conversion.
- Put videos in the right places. You want to make the videos are easy to find. They should be alongside the product images and descriptions that they represent, which will grab your customers’ attention right away and encourage them to view the video. Don’t place videos at the bottom of the page (or even below the fold, if you can avoid it), because you can’t guarantee that the viewer will scroll down.
- Add videos closer to conversion pages. If you want to track how video affects conversion pages (pages where your “add-to-cart” option is located), then place videos on product pages rather than category pages, to optimize their effect on buying intent.
- Use multiple videos on product pages. You probably already include multiple images of products on the product page, so adding multiple videos will also engage customers. Try using a mix of different types of videos on your product pages. This will help determine what the right combination is for each product.
- Make sure your videos look good on mobile devices. More and more online shoppers are using smartphones or tablets to make purchases these days, so your videos need to be mobile-friendly for customer engagement.
Monitoring the Results of Your Video Marketing Strategy
As with all types of marketing, you will need to monitor and evaluate the performance of the video content to know what’s working and what isn’t so you can make the appropriate adjustments. Some things to look at are:
- How many shoppers are actually watching your videos?
- How long are shoppers engaging with videos?
- How are shoppers behaving on pages with video compared to pages without?
- Do your videos impact how long shoppers stay on your site?
- What are the conversion rates on pages with video compared to pages without?
When you answer these questions, and identify changes in the shoppers’ behavior, you can more easily determine how to proceed with the video marketing strategy. It’s an excellent enhancement to your current ecommerce marketing efforts, so take the time to perfect it.