If you aren’t selling on eBay, you are missing out on valuable sales opportunities. There are currently 167 million eBay users buying and selling on the marketplace. These days, most people know how to list an item on eBay – we’ve all had to get rid of something around the house.
But, did you know that you can quickly and easily create eBay listing templates that allow you to list loads of items?
What Are eBay Listing Templates?
A listing template contains information that is required to create a product listing: title, description, images, and other information that you indicate on eBay’s Sell Your Item form. You can assign up to 20 listing templates for each product, which allows you to list products in multiple ways.
For example, let’s say you sell flashlights. You can create one template that offers your flashlight for a fixed price with free shipping and one that is an auction-style listing. Creating different templates allows you to modify the selling method as needed and to reach customers with different shopping habits.
How to Create Product and Listing Templates
In order to use templates, you must have Selling Manager Pro, one of eBay’s selling tool subscriptions, which is $15.99 per month (with a 30-day free trial). There are multiple ways to create your own eBay listing templates. We’ll cover the most basic method in this post. But first, you will want to create the product in eBay.
Step 1: Creating a New Product
The only required field for a product template is the product name, but you should also fill in additional information for better reporting and tracking. The additional fields allow you to enter:
- Custom label – The product’s SKU or other identifying label
- Average unit cost – The average amount that you pay for the item
- Quantity available to list – How many items you have available to sell
- Restock alert – You can enter the number of items that when reached, will trigger an alert that lets you know to reorder
- Notes – Any additional information you want to enter for reference
The above information can’t be seen by the buyer.
How to create a new product:
- From the Inventory view, click Create Product.
- Select whether you want to create a single product or a product with variations (for example, if you are selling T-shirts in various sizes or colors).
- Enter your product name and other optional information.
- At this point, you can choose to save a product for later or you can click the Create listing button to continue on to the listing templates.
Step 2: Creating a New Listing Template
Now you are ready to create a listing template. If you aren’t really a DIYer, check out our list of the best eBay listing templates. If you are a DIYer, let’s carry on.
You may have arrived at the listing template page after creating your new product, as explained above. If not, it’s easiest to begin with the Inventory view.
How to create a listing template
- From the Inventory view, click on the name of the product you are creating a template for.
- Click Create new in the Listing templates
- Fill in the Sell Your Item form.
- You can choose to save the template with the Save only button, or save and list your item at the same time with the Submit & Save Listing
You can now create more templates for the same item to take advantage of different selling methods (up to 20 per item).
Tips for Creating the Best Product Listings
There are a few things you can do to make a listing more successful. Consider these tips:
- Select the most specific category for your product to make sure that buyers can find your item. For an extra fee, you can list a product in two categories, which will maximize its visibility.
- If your product is included in eBay’s catalog of items, use their product details in your listing. That doesn’t mean that you should use only that – customers want to hear what you have to say about the product. Also, the search engines can penalize sellers for duplicate content. But, it does simplify listing the manufacturer’s details.
- Make sure your eBay listing is compliant. eBay prohibits the use of any active content in your product listings.
- Have a competitive pricing strategy. You can use the pricing that eBay suggests for a product. Also, take the time to look at completed listings to see the starting price that items like yours are selling for, and then price accordingly.
- If you are not offering free shipping, use eBay’s calculated shipping tool to make it easier. Your customers will know exactly what shipping will cost before they purchase products, and you won’t have to calculate it on your own.
- Use a listing design software or company to develop custom listing templates. Using professionally designed templates will increase conversions.
- Use an eBay listing software to list a ton of products at once. This will save time and allow you to focus on writing better product descriptions.
Creating listing templates using the above tips will help make your eBay business a success by saving time, increasing visibility, and allowing you to list more products quickly and easily.