As an ecommerce retailer, you likely use much of your time focusing on ways to generate more sales. You’re not alone – that is the task that most online sellers tend to concentrate on. It makes sense: more sales generate more revenue, and more revenue means business growth. That is one of the reasons why many ecommerce sellers are opening brick-and-mortar stores and vice versa. Having an omnichannel presence is key in building an amazing customer experience.
But how do you handle a physical transaction? A point of sale (POS) system that integrates with an ecommerce shopping software is a great option for many online retailers. But choosing the right POS system for your online store will play a big part in the customer experience as well as in your overall business operation. The best POS systems provide you with much more than just a way to process transactions. They can also help you with things like inventory management, returns, exchanges, and customer behavior.
With many POS systems to choose from, you may be lost when choosing the one that is right for your business. In this post, we will take a look at the pros and cons of two great POS systems – Shopify POS vs Vend POS, to help you determine if one is right for you.
Shopify has a great reputation as an ecommerce system, and their POS system is no different. It’s designed as a small business solution that is fully mobile. While considered a hybrid system, Shopify POS tends to be more cloud-based than anything else.
Pros of Shopify POS:
- The Shopify platform itself is easy to get up and running, and is intuitive and user friendly, and the POS system follows suit.
- Shopify accepts a wide range of payment methods that include store credit, gift cards, and split payments.
- It offers complete store management features like order tracking and employee management.
- The system is CRM integrated.
- Can be used for both physical and online stores.
- You can easily integrate Shopify POS into your existing website.
- There are many external apps that can extend Shopify’s functionality.
- The Shopify POS system is safe and secure for you and your customers.
- Will support multiple sales channels.
- Allows customized receipts.
- Has favorable customer ratings and reviews. Those who use Shopify POS love it.
Cons of Shopify POS:
- The most common complaint about Shopify POS is that they charge higher than average credit card processing fees.
- Shopify POS (and the Shopify platform as a whole) caters to merchants in North America and the United Kingdom.
- Even though Shopify POS is considered a hybrid system, you cannot process credit card transactions if Wi-Fi is down.
- Advanced reporting for Shopify POS can be expensive.
Shopify POS Pricing:
- $29 per month option – Offers up to 4 locations, free card reader, 2.9% credit card rate
- $79 per month option – All of the above plus gift cards, another location, and professional reporting, 2.6% credit card rate
- $299 per month option – All of the features of the $79 plan, plus customized reporting, 8 locations, 2.4% credit card rate
The Shopify POS system is designed to integrate fully with the ecommerce system. So, if you are a small to medium retailer that needs a POS system that will seamlessly integrate with your ecommerce store, Shopify POS may be the right solution for you.
Vend POS is another point of sale option that has a good reputation. The system fully integrates with ecommerce sites and is mobile friendly. The system is cloud-based and is consistently rated highly for its ease of use and scalability.
Pros of Vend POS:
- Can be used in unlimited locations, both brick and mortar and online stores.
- Gives retailers inventory and business performance information quickly and easily.
- Perfect POS system for retail operations.
- Offers many integrations with third-party software programs.
- The Vend POS system is safe and secure for users and customers.
- You can work offline when necessary.
- Allows receipt customization.
- Easily processes returns, refunds, and store credits.
- Receives high ratings and reviews from customers.
Cons of Vend POS:
- The biggest complaint about Vend POS is that processing can be slow.
- It is pricier than Shopify POS, especially if you need more than one register.
- The ecommerce solution isn’t as robust as Shopify.
Vend POS Pricing
Vend’s pricing offers discounts when fees are paid annually rather than monthly.
- $119 per month option ($99/mo. billed annually) – Allows one store, unlimited products, 24/7 phone and online support, small business reporting.
- $159 per month option ($129/mo. billed annually) – Allows all of the above, plus gift cards, advanced reporting, ecommerce options, advanced user permissions, and access to their API.
Conclusion: Shopify POS vs Vend POS
Both Shopify POS and Vend POS have benefits and drawbacks to consider before making a decision about which one might be right for you. Fortunately, they both offer free trial periods for you to take advantage of. Utilizing those periods will allow you to see what drawbacks come up, how they affect your store and your operations, and how quickly issues are resolved.
With such high customer ratings, it’s likely that Shopify POS and Vend POS will both meet most of the criteria that you have set for your business. If that’s the case, base your decision on your personal preferences and pricing.
Editor’s Note: This blog post was originally published June 2017 and was updated in August 2019 to reflect more accurate and relevant information.