Google has a new way for ecommerce retailers to increase the visibility and sales of their products called Google Shopping Actions. It’s a unique combination of credibility and infrastructure that Google describes as, “enabling a frictionless and easy way to shop hundreds of thousands of products across Google Search, Google Assistant, and Google Express..”
What Exactly is Google Shopping Actions?
Google Shopping Actions is a new combination of shopping experiences that enables sellers to display their products on Google platforms including Google Express, Google Search, Google Express mobile, and the Google Assistant for both mobile and Google Home devices. Shopping Actions helps customers shop effortlessly across Google with a universal shopping cart, 1-click ordering and instant checkout with saved payment credentials in their Google Account.
Along with being able to find products in various ways, Google Shopping Actions offers buyers a seamless experience via a shareable list, instant checkout with saved payment credentials, and a universal shopping cart. This is a huge advantage for sellers to garner more conversions out of casual browsing sessions.
How Does Google Shopping Actions Work?
Buying products that are displayed on Google Shopping Actions is simple, shoppers can do so in three ways.
- Google Express: express.google.com Google Express mobile app for iPhones or Android devices.
- Google Search: Surface inventory via sponsored Shopping Unit on the Google Search page.
- Google Assistant: Conduct a voice search on a Google Assistant device.
For sellers, Google tracks monthly sales and sends them their commission invoice at the end of the month. Here’s the best part: there are no fees for this Google service – if you don’t have any sales, you don’t pay Google anything. Instead, Google uses a cost per sale (CPS) process.
Who Should Use Google Shopping Actions and Why?
To put it simply: every online seller should use Google Shopping Actions as one of their sales channels.
- Visibility on Multiple Google Platforms – One of the main goals of ecommerce business owners is to get their products seen, exposing their brand to as large of an audience as possible. Google Shopping Actions does that for you. The new service gets your products on Google Search, Google Express, and Google Assistant, and it does so without any extra work on your part.
- Improves Customer Experience– Consumers shop online because it’s convenient. They shop on well-known marketplaces like Amazon because it’s easy. Amazon allows buyers to make purchases from multiple merchants at the same time with the same shopping cart. Now, shoppers can do the same thing with Google Shopping Actions.
- Nurtures Customer Loyalty– Google Shopping Actions provide customers with personalized product recommendations and allows them to easily re-order items. This is a benefit to online shoppers as it allows them to make purchases quickly and easily, and a benefit to sellers because it cultivates buyer loyalty.
- Grows Your Customer Base– This benefit is especially important for ecommerce retailers who sell on Amazon. As you probably know, Amazon sellers are strictly prohibited from sending Amazon customers emails or other information that could pull them out of its system. With Google Shopping Actions, you can collect customers’ information, allowing you to build a customer database to communicate with in the future.
- Drives Value – Because Google Shopping Actions uses the pay per sale model, meaning merchants only pay when a sale actually takes place. Shopping Actions appear within the sponsored Shopping Unit on the Google Search page, and on express.google.com.d. This money-saving feature is great for all ecommerce sellers, but especially those who are just starting out and have a tight budget.
Getting Started with Google Shopping Actions
To get started with Google Shopping Actions you need to set up a Google Merchant account. This is done on Google’s Merchant Center. There you will be able to verify and claim your website URL.
Once set up in the Merchant Center, you can go to the Shopping Actions page and complete the online application that Google will review. Once approved you can start selling via Google Express and enjoy all the benefits listed above.
The Wrap Up
Google Shopping Actions may be a game changer for ecommerce business owners and a very real challenge to Amazon. That’s why you should get in sooner rather than later – don’t let your competitors get the jump on you.
Ready to take the next step? Let us know. We’ll help you through the whitelisting process, and with our Google Shopping Actions order management software, you can expand without all the headaches. To get started, here’s a list of do’s and don’ts for listing products to Google Shopping Actions.