We sure you’re familiar with Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but have you thought much about Green Monday? If not, then you need to. We’ve outlined everything you need to know about one of the biggest online shopping days of the year below.
What is Green Monday?
Green Monday is a booming retail sales opportunity for ecommerce businesses. eBay really started the whole idea. The major online marketing realized that the second Monday in December, on average, was one of the top shopping days in December.
Sometimes called Cyber Monday 2 or Manic Monday, the name may have came from the idea of consumers saving money from various sales, online retailers making more money, or it could refer to going green environmentally (buying online could be considered more eco-friendly than driving to different stores). No one has really ever commented on why it’s called Green Monday.
Whatever the origin of the name, this is a day you don’t want to ignore.
When is it?
Green Monday is the second Monday in the month of December. This year, that’s December 9, 2019. This is the perfect time for online shoppers because it ensures that they’ll have enough time to have their online purchases delivered in time for the holidays.
Why Should You Care?
|Year||Green Monday Sales||Cyber Monday Sales|
|2009||$854 million||$887 million|
|2010||$942 million||$1.0 billion|
|2011||$1.1 billion||$1.2 billion|
|2012||$1.3 billion||$1.5 billion|
|2013||$1.4 billion||$1.7 billion|
|2014||$1.6 billion||$2.6 billion|
|2015||$1.4 billion||$3.1 billion|
|2016||$1.6 billion||$3.7 billion|
Are you missing out on this great opportunity? If so, let’s take a look on how you can take advantage of this money day.
How to Optimize Sales
It’s not a big surprise that November and December are the biggest sales months of the year, it’s always been that way for retailers. However, did you know that online shopping is quickly becoming the preferred channel for holiday shoppers?
This year, as you prepare for Black Friday and Cyber Monday, be sure to also make a strategy for Green Monday. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Go green – Make sure your customers know about Green Monday. You can leverage the theme by making over your website with the color green. Additionally, be sure to highlight any eco-friendly aspects of your products and any of the sales and promotions you’re offering.
- Generate excitement – when you create a sense of excitement and urgency, your customers will respond. Think about adding a countdown timer to your site letting customers how long they have to make purchases.
- Promote on social media – Create a series of posts about Green Monday sales, deals, and discounts for at least a week before the day. It’s also important to include sustainable messages within your posts, even if it’s simply the fact that shopping online is more friendly to the environment than traveling store to store shopping. Creating hashtags related to Green Monday is a great way to keep track of what your customers are sharing and your specials.
- Put your money where your mouth is – Today’s customers are all about giving back to the community. Consider a promotion where you commit to donating to an environmentally-friendly charity for each purchase that is made on Green Monday.
- Create repeat customers – You will undoubtedly capture new customers. But you don’t want your efforts to end there, you want those customers to keep coming back to make more purchases. You can do this by offering a discount code buyers can use in the future.
With a little thought and planning, you can make Green Monday as lucrative for your business as Cyber Monday is. Use the above ideas to create a buzz about the day, to highlight your brand’s environment-friendly products, and to earn repeat business from shoppers. Whatever you do, don’t ignore the huge sales opportunity you have with Green Monday.
Need more holiday marketing ideas? Check out these 7 promos to run during the holidays.